June 21, 2008

Sanctuary

The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clearing, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in the abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.
-Kate Chopin, The Awakening
I try to escape to the idyllic isle of Pawleys Island every year.
It has become my sanctuary. The ocean, a cleansing baptism of playful relief.
Salt water has healing properties, as do cool breezes, warm sun, soft sand and loved ones.

After a frustrating week at home, I had the pleasure of fleeing my daytoday to the island on the Atlantic into the arms of my family and friends and love.
The soft sand holds almost two decades of my summer memories.

where, who would i be without the people i love?
they lift me up. they ground me.
around them, i sigh less. i laugh more.

and with this backdrop? well, it comes pretty easy.

No comments: